Thursday, September 22, 2011

Der Zerrissene (Pascal Productions)

This review is for the production of Der Zerrissene written by Johann Nepomuk Nestroy and performed by Pascal Production in Schloss Traun, Upper Austria.

I saw this production back in August and was the only summer theatre I managed to see. Nestroy's pieces are notorious for being untranslatable into the English language because the pieces are so full of Viennese humor very specific to the time period in which the playwright lived and wrote. Therefore, I found it interesting that the director, Ursula Ruhs, decided to set the play in the here and now with a few allusions to the Vienna of times past (the old style Bauernhaus - Farm house). I suppose this was done to translate the piece for a modern audience, so that we would understand the joke and that it wouldn't seem like a museum piece. Although, I must say I would love to see a Nestroy play like a Restoration play, with accurate costumes and everything - but that's just me.


As for the cast, all were perfessional, but not all were able to catch the attention of the audience. Title characters did well to tell the story, and it's quite clear that the lead Herr von Lips, Daniel Pascal, carried the show. I felt the show started off rather slow and somewhat dull until the wonderfully witty monologue of Herr von Lips as the zerissenen. Also, the second act started somewhat slow, as if the change of set put a peg into the actor's energy, but then the lively dialogue between Herr von Lips and Krautkopf got the audience back into the piece and laughing heartily. Costumes and set design was ok and it worked for this production. All in all, it was an enjoyable evening and I think such a theatre company is an asset to a suburb like Traun. For a private company I must say the production was well done.
I am definately interested in seeing Pascal and Ruhs' next project!

Overall - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment